WINNING THE BATTLES THAT MATTER MOST
Week 5-Spiritual Armor (part 2)
How to Fight in Spiritual Warfare
- Be Aware of the Battle.
- There is a spiritual war and we have a spiritual enemy.
- Realize the war has already been won and rely on God’s strength.
“A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:10-12 NLT
- Be Equipped with God’s Armor.
- Belt of Truth—through Christ we know the truth and live the truth.
- Breastplate of Righteousness—through Christ we are made right with God and are empowered for right living.
- The Shoes of the Gospel of Peace—through Christ we are reconciled to God and reconciled to one another.
- Shield of Faith—Faith in God’s character, Faith in God’s promises, Faith in God’s power.
- Helmet of Salvation
- Justification-We have been saved…freedom from the penalty of sin.
- Sanctification-We are being saved…freedom from the power of sin.
- Glorification-We will be saved…freedom from the presence of sin.
- Sword of the Spirit—Read the Word, Memorize the Word, Apply the Word.
“Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Ephesians 6:13-17 NLT
- Be Devoted to Prayer
- Pray at all times.
- Pray for the spread of the gospel.
“Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere. And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God’s mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike. I am in chains now, still preaching this message as God’s ambassador. So pray that I will keep on speaking boldly for him, as I should.” Ephesians 6:18-19 NLT
Rev. Brandon Dasinger
Teaching Pastor and Director of Missions
- Which piece of armor do you need the most right now? Why?
- Read Ephesians 1:3-11. Spend some time thanking God for all the blessings we enjoy in Christ.
- Read Hebrews 11. How would you define faith according to this chapter? How can faith help us overcome our daily battles?
- Read Matthew 4:1-11. How did Jesus use scripture to overcome temptation? Pick a verse from Ephesians and commit it to memory this week.
- What are some of the main truths that God wants you to know from this message? What actions does God want you to take according to the truths of this study?